"Be the change you want to see in the world"
- Ghandi

Help me create a world without cancer by donating now

Welcome
and thank you for visiting! Join me as I train for my first triathlon and attempt to raise $6,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. There are sure to be near drownings, nasty spills, and tons of entertaining novice mistakes - you don't want to miss it! And because I am doing this in honor of my mom, Judy, I will throw in some of my favorite stories of us and how she helped get me to this point.

Friday, June 4, 2010

I’m potty trained; why do I have to wear a diaper?

I have officially entered the world of cycling – I invested (and it was an investment) in cycling shorts. You know, the kind with padding so thick you waddle when you walk and have a butt so bulging its reminiscent of your Huggie days? And if that isn’t bad enough, they are tight and VERY unattractive. Maybe not to a “cycler” (eye roll) but to a normal passerby they are not going to win any fashion awards. I know, I know, they are not there to look pretty – the “diaper” effect is there to protect your butt bones and your overall ability to walk normally after a long ride. That being said, I think there is a “breaking in” period. But I wonder, what am I “breaking in” – the seat, or my butt?

I also invested (again, cycling is pretty expensive) in a bike fitting and a new saddle (=seat – look at me using technical terms). Both of these are supposedly helpful with the above issue. We’lll see. . .

In terms of the rest of my training – it’s going good. As much as the intense schedule freaks me out, I have also kind of fallen in love with it. I love the variety of the training. I love the intensity. I love the determination and focus it takes to commit to this type of training schedule.

Here is a look at one week of training for me. This level is considered our “base” level. Building a base of fitness, - a foundation that we will build on and eventually peak.
Monday (Workout #1) – Bike 40 minutes before or after work. Go to work. 2 hours of commuting to and from work. Eat dinner. Try to make it to bed by 10 pm (never happens)
Tuesday (Workouts #2 & 3) – 6 am to 7:30 am swim practice. Work. Run 4o minutes. Commute an hour. Try to fit in dinner before I head back to bed (ideally so I can get at least 7 hours. I wish)
Wednesday (Workout #4) – repeat Monday
Thursday (Workouts #5 & 6) – repeat Tuesday
Friday (Rest & Recover) – my “OFF” day. And believe me, your body needs this rest by this time of the week and before the dreaded Saturday work outs.
Saturday (Workouts #7 & 8) – 8 am “Brick Workout” with the team. Brick workouts are a bike ride, followed immediately with a run. Followed by a nap.
Sunday (Workout #9) – 7pm to 8pm swim practice with the team. Shower. Dinner. Start all over the next week.

I do not see how this would be possible if I had children or a super demanding job. I do see how professional athletes are just that – full time professionals of working out. It’s time consuming.

Next week I add “fundraising” in the mix. It’s easy to get wrapped up in myself and the training. But I always remember why I am really doing this - to elevate blood cancer awareness and raise funds for cancer research. Sadly, the number of people I know with cancer is growing. I am blessed with my health and would like to do something for those who are fighting for their lives. So I dedicate each work out to my mother, to Lynn Smith, Robert Stransky, Lynn Van Lear and Andy Talbert. You are the real heroes and I hope to be as strong as courageous as each of you. If you know someone who you would like me to train and race in honor or memory of, please let me know.

“Strength does not lie in what you have. It lies in what you can give.”

No comments:

Post a Comment