This past weekend was a personal milestone. I had actually forgotten about it too. But my good friend, Pat sent me an encouraging email reminding me what I was doing a year ago, Sunday.
Last Father’s Day weekend I ran my first marathon and my dad ran his first half marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. My dad finished before me and came to surprise me on the course. I was circling a lake and struggling at mile 24. As I came over the bridge before the last hill, I saw Coach Jim (whom I was expecting to see on the course). I screamed his name and was so happy to have the needed encouragement. Then I realized my dad was standing next to him. Who knew I was holding so much in? When I saw my dad, I started tearing up and I was no longer tired. My dad had taught me that I could do anything I set my mind to, and this was no different. I ran, winding up through the neighborhood, until I saw mile marker 26. There, my other Team in Training participants continued to cheer me on.
When I eventually found my dad after crossing the finish line, I cried my eyes out in his arms. I cried for myself, I cried for my mom and I cried for dad. I had done it. I had run a marathon. I had raised over $6,000. Seven months after mom died, dad and I were closer than we had ever been and as much as we ran the race for mom, we ran it for ourselves too. We needed to do it together and the memory continues to be incredibly special to me.
The next day was father’s day. We spent the day with the team – several of them father’s themselves. I was blessed that weekend to not only have my own father’s support, but I also had Coach Jim’s, Coach Alex’s and Pat’s support for every mile of that marathon. For that, they will always have a special place in my heart.
My dad has always been, and continues to be my rock of strength. I am who I am because of his encouragement, resolve, and example. Thank you dad.
Lastly, on this Father’s day, I want to send a very special thank you to Lynn Smith. For over 18 years he has been like a father to me. I don’t have godparents, but I think of Lynn and Joni as that role. Lynn is currently battling cancer. He is so strong and courageous, but the road had been long and hard on him. Today I send to all my love and healing thoughts to him. Keep fighting, Lynn! I love you dearly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment