"Be the change you want to see in the world"
- Ghandi

Help me create a world without cancer by donating now

Welcome
and thank you for visiting! Join me as I train for my first triathlon and attempt to raise $6,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. There are sure to be near drownings, nasty spills, and tons of entertaining novice mistakes - you don't want to miss it! And because I am doing this in honor of my mom, Judy, I will throw in some of my favorite stories of us and how she helped get me to this point.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Getting the hang of this thing they called "Tri"

A week and a half in and I am already thinking, "woa!".  This is three times more complicated than training for a marathon or half marathon.  There is three times the amount of gear, three times the amount of workouts, and three times the amount of things you need to know.  I am trying to ease into it.  One, because buying everything at once can make you go broke, and two because this is pretty different from how I was previously working out.  If you don't know any triathletes, let me tell you about some I have met.  They are intense! And their basic level of fitness is much, much higher than mine (I mean, no surprise there).  But its as if they are preparing for battle, and they don't mess around. 

Two interesting revelations I had this week:
1) Just because you have run a marathon and a half marathon and you run a few times a week, does not mean you are fast; and you can quite possibly still belong in the "Level 1" (slowest) workout group.
2) Even when you haven't swam on a consistent basis in years and you look amazingly out of shape in your speedo, its possible to belong in the "Level 3" (fastest) workout group
3) The sports I was good at (running) and bad at (swimming) long ago, have now been reversed.  Who would have thought I would now be one of the faster swimmers and slowest runners.  (We are not even going to begin to talk about how bad I am going to suck on the bike)

The other biggest thing I noticed about "tri" people is their lack of warm & fuzzy.  This, I'm sure is due to their high level of intensity.  I am a warm & fuzzy person.  I like that.  I miss that from our TNT run team.  Does that mean I cannot be a triathlete?  I do consider myself an intense person in certain ways though.  Can you be both - warm & fuzzy AND intense?  Time will tell.  Until next time. . .

1 comment:

  1. You are AMAZING Jenn. Seriously, I work out 3-5 times a week and I think, "wow, look at me." YOU are training for a TRIATHALON. Omg. I know your mom is so proud of you. I LOVE YOU!!!! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete