So here I am. . . I did it. . . I signed up. And I am hoping that this is actually the hardest step, but I have a sinking suspicion that the ambitious drive that got me to this point, will undoubtedly seem like one of my more annoying qualities when I am practically crawling in the last leg of the race. An Olympic distance triathlon! Man, that sounds cool! But really, what have I gotten myself into?!
This is what I have gotten myself into:
.9 miles swim (1500 yards or 60 laps in the pool) in the Potomac River (yuck is right)
24.8 miles bike ride (I don't know what this equates to since I don't bike - yet)
6.2 mile run (Well, that seems short. However, I think it gets harder because you have already swam a mile and biked 25)
Official Team in Training (TNT) training starts May 17th. Until then, I am trying to get a jump start on my own. I started swimming, and while I can congratulate myself on not drowning (pun intended) in a pool of super athletes , I am pretty sure I should be in better shape than this. I also went bike shopping this past weekend. I am confident its a bad sign that my butt bones are still sore just from trying out bikes. What happens when I have to actually sit on one for 25 miles?!
My other goal (besides finishing) is to raise $2,000 per leg of the race, for a grand total of $6,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Every dollar raised helps those still battling a blood cancer. Every dollar raised is a memory I have with my mom who lost her battle with Leukemia.
I am excited and nervous to begin training. But I know this will be one of the highlights of my life, just as my first marathon was. A special thanks to everyone who encouraged me to do this. I have no doubt I will be hating you later. Just kidding. . .
Thank you in advance for your support and love. Here goes nothing. . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm looking forward to cheering you on in Sept. Go Jenn!!
ReplyDeleteJenn, you are so awesome!! And what you are doing not just with this tri but with your running and fund-raising is very inspiring. I know your Mom would be so proud to see what you've accomplished. It looks like you've already been at it every day of the week for the past two! Wow!
ReplyDeleteOh, and the saddle-soreness will go away pretty quickly, maybe 2-3 weeks. Helps if you can get even a little bit of "saddle time" every or every-other day for the first couple weeks.
I can't wait to hear all about your training and the race! Love you!