"Be the change you want to see in the world"
- Ghandi

Help me create a world without cancer by donating now

Welcome
and thank you for visiting! Join me as I train for my first triathlon and attempt to raise $6,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. There are sure to be near drownings, nasty spills, and tons of entertaining novice mistakes - you don't want to miss it! And because I am doing this in honor of my mom, Judy, I will throw in some of my favorite stories of us and how she helped get me to this point.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Five Day Freak Out - Race Day is in Sight!

I think it’s pretty hilarious that my previous posting is about how I finally fell off my bike, and how it was no big deal.  No kidding; literally the same day I wrote that is when I fell again and fractured my elbow.    Luckily, it was only a tiny fracture and I was not put in a cast . . . just a sporty, navy blue sling.   When everyone else was peaking in their training, I was forced to take a break.  That was a rough time mentally.   Not only could I not work out, I had to cancel two events that were going to be practice for the tri – the Baltimore 2-Mile Open Water Swim and the Luray Sprint Tri.  There went my confidence even more.   Don’t get me wrong, I never doubted I would do the race; but I did question what shape I would be in on race day.  But with the completion of both a team practice tri and a long ride, I am feeling slightly better.  I am still doubting the run, but as everyone keeps telling me, I have done a marathon and half marathon, so this 6 miles should be cake. . . sure.  I want to say thank you to Alex and Shannon for providing much needed moral support and advice during this time.  Without them, I would have just been a big ball of uncertainty.

The flip side of my fractured elbow freak out was how great I felt doing the practice tri a few Saturdays ago.  This drill was to simulate race day, though the distances were very short (200m swim, 10 mile bike, 3 mile run).  I was pleasantly surprised at how great I felt and how much fun I had!  Yes, I have not done the full race yet, but I am already looking forward to signing up for more.  They say you become addicted and catch the “tri bug”.  I really believe that’s true.  There is a certain thrill in pushing yourself to take on new challenges and achieve new goals.  That is what the tri is for me.  I did not really catch that bug with the marathon.  Frankly, I hate running.  It hates me.  Not only am I bad at it, but it also hurts a lot.  However, if I get to swim and bike too, it makes the running worth it.  Dare I say I see a Half Iron Man in the future . . .?

To bring this back to the mission, a few of my teammates and I held three happy hour fund raisers this past month.  One of which was a charity date auction and it went really well!  In total we raised over $3,500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  Personally, I have raised $4,700.  This is absolutely amazing!  So close to my $6,000 goal.  Many thanks to my awesome friends who love me enough to continue to support me and attend event after event.

Finally, I want to share some fantastic news.  In early August, Lynn Smith received clean PET and CT scans! After a very serious battle of intense radiation and chemo, Lynn kicked cancer’s ass! He still has a long road to recovery, he beat it! Love you, Lynn!

I am a few short days away from the tri.  I am totally excited and extremely nervous at the same time.  I am not sure if I am going to have time to write again, so more than likely the next time you read this I will be a Triathlete!  Mom would be so proud.  

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to hear that about Lynn!!!! Right on!

    Jenn - Your friends and family are so proud of you! You are truly amazing! Thank you for being the person you are!

    ReplyDelete